Click here. We're here to help!
Common Documentation Required


  • Driver’s license
  • Social Security card
  • Divorce decree (if applicable)
  • Proof of veteran status (for VA loan)


  • Federal income tax returns for the previous two years
  • W-2 forms for the previous two years
  • Pay stubs for the previous 30 days
  • Proof of additional income, such as Social Security benefits, child support, or alimony (if applicable)
  • Previous two years’ and year-to-date profit and loss statements (if self-employed)
  • Balance sheet for the most recent quarter (if self-employed)


  • Statements for checking and savings accounts for the last three months
  • Statements for retirement funds and other investments for the last three months
  • If part of the down payment comes from a gift, a gift letter stating that the funds do not need to be repaid


  • Most recent statements for credit cards, loans, and other credit
  • Canceled checks (or other proof of payment) for rent or mortgage for the last 12 months
  • Court documentation for bankruptcy or judgment (if applicable)
  • Listing agreement or sales contract for current home (if applicable)


  • Sales contract
  • Proof of earnest money deposit
  • Proof of homeowners insurance (needed before closing)
  • Contact information for homeowners association (if applicable)

Note: Lenders can have different documentation requirements. Be sure to confirm with your lender what documentation you need to provide.

Next Topic Predatory Lending