Frequently Asked Questions

Click on question to view answer

Submit an FAQ

ATMs back to top

Bill Payment back to top

  • What are the costs associated with setting up and using Automated Bill Payer?
    There is no cost for bill pay. It is FREE!
  • How long does it take for a bill payment to post to the merchant’s account?
    When adding a payee for the first time, please allow up to 8 business days for the payment to post. During this time, our payment processor partner will contact the merchant to verify the address, account number and method of payment (electronic or check). Once this is done, any future payments will take either two business days if paid electronic or six business days if paid by check. Bill Pay will show how many days the funds will take to arrive.
  • How will I know which bill payments are made electronically and which are paid by a check?
    This information can be viewed by clicking on Payments then on Payment Center. There is a ’Send On’ field and a ’Deliver By’ field. If there is 2 business days in between these two fields, then it is paid electronically. If there is 5 business days in between, then it is paid by check.
  • Once the funds for a bill payment have been withdrawn from the member’s account, can the payment be stopped?
    If the payment was sent electronically,there is no way of stopping an electronic payment. The member would need to contact the merchant for a refund. If the payment is sent out via check and the check has not cleared, a stop payment can be placed. The member will be responsible for a stop payment fee and any fees assessed by the merchant.
  • How do I cancel Automated Bill Payer?
    Please call 800-351-1670 or 915-562-1172 or email us at and we will be able to assist you in cancelling your bill pay service.
  • How does a member sign up for Bill Payment?
    Here\’s how you can begin paying your bills online for FREE! Please print a copy of these instructions. It will make it easier to follow while signing up for the service.

    1. Login to Online Banking
    2. Click on the \’Bill Pay\’ tab.
    3. Read the Electronic Funds Transfer Agreement and click on continue if you agree.
    4. Select the appropriate Checking Account and click on Next.
    5. Confirm the registration by clicking on Yes.
    6. The Bill Pay Home Page will display. If you are a brand new user, the explanation of the new bill pay system will appear. We encourage you to preview the new pages or click on demo to familiarize yourself with the service. Once you are comfortable with the way it works, click on Activate Bill Pay.
    7. Click on Payments and the options to add your payees will come up. Choose item A or B and continue the process.
    8. Fill in all of the information exactly as it appears on your bill
    9. Repeat steps for additional payees.
    10. If you need additional help please email us at or call our toll free Bill Pay Member Service Center at 800-351-1670 for more assistance.
  • What happens if my merchant does not receive my payment?
    Please call our Bill Pay Member Care Center at 800-351-1670 for assistance.
  • What do I do if I have a question concerning any late charges?
    Please call our Bill Pay Member Care Center at 800-351-1670 for any assistance.

Card Services back to top

  • What is Falcon Security?
    For more information on Falcon Security please visit the following website

Credit Cards back to top

E-Statements back to top

  • What if a member forgets their E-Statement password? They are receiving the error: "password is incorrect".
    The password you use for e-statements is the same password you use to sign into Online Banking. If you have forgotten your password for Online Banking/e-services, please contact us at 1-800-351-1670 to re-set your password.
  • A member received his statement, however he is unable to open it. The following error is received - "There was an error opening this document. This viewer cannot decrypt this."
    Most likely they do not have the correct version of Acrobat Reader on their computer. Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or higher is needed to view the statement. To download Adobe 5.0, the member first needs to un-install their previous version.
    My Computer
    Control Panel
    Add/Remove Programs
    Click on current version of Adobe to highlight
    Click Uninstall or Remove button

    Once this is done, the member can install Adobe Reader 5.0 by clicking on the Adobe picture at the bottom of our online banking sign on page or going directly to the link at
  • What is the benefit of using E-Statements if I already use online banking?
    By signing up for E-Statements, member’s printed statements will no longer be mailed. This saves the credit union money. You receive the e-statement quicker than the statement that is mailed to you. E-statements is also password protected which makes it secure. Also, the e-statement looks just like the printed statement so it is an official statement copy, not like the online banking statements which look like transaction printouts. The e-statements can be saved on the member’s computer indefinitely for easy record keeping purposes in case the member needs it at a future date.
  • How can a member sign up for E-Statements?
    If you don’t receive your statements electronically, it’s easy to sign up. IT’S FREE and paperless!

    Please print a copy of these instructions. It will make it easier to follow while signing up for the service. To sign up for e-statements, please follow these steps:

    1. Sign in to Online Banking
    2. Click on ’Statements’
    3. Read the e-Statements Disclosure. If you agree click on the "Activate Electronic Statements Now" button.
    * You will receive a monthly email notification communicating that your e-statements are ready to view starting by the first week of the following month.

    If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
  • What do I do if something is wrong on my e-statement regarding an electronic transfer or transaction?
    In case of errors of questions about the electronic transfers:

    Please telephone us at 915-562-1172 ( El Paso), 575-526-4401 (Las Cruces) or toll free at 1-800-351-1670; or write us at FirstLight Federal Credit Union, P.O. Box 24901, El Paso, TX 79914-9001, as soon as you can if you think your statement of receipt is wrong, or if you need more information about a transfer listed on the statement or receipt. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we send the first statement on which the error or problem appeared.

    1. Tell us your name and account number
    2. Describe the error of transfer that you are unsure about and explain as clearly as you can why you believe it is an error or why you need more information.
    3. Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error.

    We will investigate your complaint and will correct any error promptly. If we take more than 10 business days to do this, we will re-credit your account for the amount you think is in error so that you will have use of the money during the time it takes us to complete the investigation.

    Billing rights summary:

    If you think your statement is wrong, or if you need more information about a transaction on your statement, write us at the address shown on your statement as soon as possible. We must hear from you no later than 60 days after we sent you the first statement on which the error or problem appeared. You can telephone us, but doing so will not preserve your rights. In your letter, give us the following information:

    1. Your name and account number
    2. The dollar amount of the suspected error
    3. Describe the error and explain if you can why you believe there is an error. If you need more information, describe the item you are unsure about.

    You do not have to pay the amount in questions while we are investigating, but you are still obligated to pay the parts of your statement that are not in question. While we investigate your questions, we cannot report you as delinquent of take any action to collect the amount you question.

IRA’s back to top

  • Who is eligible for an IRA?
    If you are under age 70 1/2 for the entire tax year and have compensation, you are eligible to establish an IRA, even if you already participate in any type of government plan, tax-sheltered annuity, Simplified Employee Pension plan, or qualified retirement plan (pension or profit sharing) established by an employer.
  • What is Compensation in reference to IRAs?
    Compensation is the salary or wages you receive as an employee. If you are self-employed, compensation is your net income for personal services performed for the business. All taxable alimony is considered compensation. Passive income such of interest, dividends and rental income is not considered compensation for purposes of funding an IRA.
  • How much can I deposit to my Traditional/Roth IRA?
    You may deposit any amount up to 100 percent of your compensation or $5,500 per year, whichever is less. IRA owners age 50 and older are eligible for a "catch-up contribution" in the amount of $1000 provided they have eligible compensation to support the additional amount.
  • Do I pay taxes on the earnings (interest) of my Traditional IRA?
    All earnings on your Traditional IRA contributions (deductible and/or non-deductible) remain tax deferred until you make withdrawals from the account.
  • Do I get a tax deduction for my deposit to my Traditional IRA?
    Deductibility of your deposit is based on whether or not you are an active participant in an employer-maintained retirement plan and, if so, your adjusted gross income and income tax-filing status. You may be eligible for the maximum deduction, a partial deduction or no deduction.
  • What if I’m not eligible for a deductible Traditional IRA contribution?
    You can still make nondeductible contributions to your IRA.
  • When can I withdraw funds from my Traditional IRA?
    You can withdraw funds from your IRA without the 10 percent IRS early distribution penalty any time after you reach age 59 1/2 or when the distribution qualifies for an exception under IRC Sec 72(t). When you reach age 70 1/2, you must begin to take minimum required withdrawals or hefty penalties will be imposed by the IRS.
  • How are the funds taxed at distribution for a Traditional IRA?
    If you are over age 59 1/2, simply include the taxable portion of the amount withdrawn (generally deductible contributions and all earnings) as income. However, if you are under age 59 1/2 and do not meet one of the exceptions, you must also pay a 10 percent IRS penalty for early distribution.
  • What happens to my IRA account in the event of my death?
    Your named beneficiary(ies) will receive the entire proceeds of the account. The manner in which the account is paid can be left to the election of the beneficiary(ies).
  • What is a Spousal IRA?
    If you have compensation and your spouse has no compensation or elects to be treated as having no compensation, your spouse can establish a Spousal IRA and deposit up to 100 percent of your compensation or $5,500, whichever is less. The total combined contribution to your IRA and your spouse’s IRA may not exceed your compensation for the tax year of contribution.
  • How do I move funds from one IRA to another?
    There are two methods you can use to move funds from one IRA to another: rollover and transfer. Generally a recipient has 60 calendar days from the date of receipt to roll over the distribution to another IRA. Rollovers between IRAs may not be made more frequently than once during a 12-month period. Transfer and rollover contributions are not deductible and will not be applied against the $5,500 IRA contribution limit.
  • When can I open an IRA?
    IRAs for the taxable year can be opened any time between January 1 and the date your tax return is due for the year, excluding extensions. This due date is normally April 15 of the following year.
  • What makes the Roth IRA so unique?
    The Roth IRA gives you the ability to invest your after-tax dollars today, let the investment grow tax-deferred, and take qualifying withdrawals tax-free.
  • Who is eligible for a Roth IRA?
    Unlike a traditional IRA, there is no 70 1/2 age limit on making contributions. You simply need to have earned income equal to the amount you contribute up to a maximum of $5,500 ($11,000 combined for spouses) per year.
  • Can I move my money from my traditional IRA to my Roth IRA?
    Yes. There are specific rules that govern the process of rolling over funds from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.
    You must pay taxes on all pre-tax dollars you move; the conversion rollover must be completed within 60 days.
  • Am I ever required to take funds from my Roth IRA?
    Unlike the traditional IRA, there are no required minimum distributions at age 70 1/2. Your earnings can continue to grow until you need them. There are special requirements when these plans pass to your beneficiaries.

Loans back to top

  • What rate would I qualify for on a loan?
    All loan rates are based upon an evaluation of an applicant’s credit. The Credit Union has auto rates from "x" to "y". Your rate will depend on your credit any applicable discounts that you may qualify for.

MAC Military Awareness Campaign back to top

Member Feedback Calls back to top

  • Can I provide feedback about my experience?
    Your opinion is important to us. FLFCU works with a third party vendor to get feedback on how the credit union is performing. Outbound calls are placed at random in order to get your honest opinion. We will NEVER ask for account or personal information, we just want to hear about your experience. Phone numbers you may expect to receive these survey calls from are 714-368-1884 or 702-734-0757.

Online Banking back to top

  • When using Online Banking and Automated Bill Payment, what kinds of security procedures are in place to protect my personal information?
    All Online Banking sessions are authenticated and encrypted. The authentication of an Online Banking session is handled through your username and password combination, which is required at login.
    The encryption is accomplished by establishing a Secure Socket Layer (SSL) connection between the browser and the Web server. You can only access Online Banking with an SSL compliant browser that supports 128 bit encryption.
    Protecting your privacy is an ongoing process. We will continue to review the measures we take to safeguard your personal information. These reviews will result in new measures to protect member records, as the Credit Union makes changes to its information security practices and other internal control systems to take advantage of new technology
  • Forget or need a password or PIN?
    Please call our Member Services Center at 915-562-1172 or toll free at 800-351-1670 and inform our representative that you wish to use Online Banking or that you forgot your pin/password.
  • What does HB means on my transaction history?
    The suffix HB means Home Banking and it will appear at the end of the transfer when processed through our online banking.
  • What does ACH mean?
    ACH means Account Clearing House and it shows as an electronic payment. Sometimes, companies will convert a check from a paper check to an ACH check, meaning electronic check. When this happens we do not receive a copy of the actual check that was used.
  • What is NSF?
    NSF means non-sufficient funds. This happens when a transaction has tried to post to your account and there were not enough funds to cover for the transaction.
  • Someone offered me to get ODP, what is ODP?
    ODP means overdraft privilege. This service will pay for transaction when there are not enough funds on your account. The limits can be $200 or $500, check with a representative to see which one you have.
  • What is ODF?
    ODF means overdraft fee. This is when the overdraft fee has been applied to your account when a transaction cleared and there were no funds on your account.
  • There is charge and it has PIF at the end, what does PIF means?
    PIF mean paid in full. This happens when there is a return item in the checking account and the funds were collected to pay for it or funds were owed to FirstLight and the funds are paid off.
  • There is a transfer from my savings to my checking and it has VR at the end.
    VR means voice response (PAL). This means that the PAL service was used to make the transfer.
  • My loan has CE, what does it mean?
    CE means the loan it’s Closed End. This means you cannot add to the loan. For example, if you want to increase your loan amount and get the cash you will need to refinance the loan. You will normally see this on vehicle loans.
  • My loan has OE, what does it mean?
    OE means the loan it’s Open End. This means you can increase your loan amount and get the additional loan amount in cash.
  • What is "VCC" replacement fee on my transaction history?
    VCC means VISA check card
  • How do I cancel my Finance Manager account within online banking?
    To cancel your Finance Manager accounts, you must log into your online banking account and select the Finance Manager tab. Select each account individually and select delete at the bottom right corner on the account information screen.

Regulation D back to top

Routing/ABA Number back to top

Savings / Money Market back to top

Share Certificates back to top

Teller Services back to top

  • How can I sign up for direct deposit?
    A direct deposit form (form 1199) must be filled out for active military in order for the automatic deposits to be made. FirstLight FCU may provide the direct deposit form for active military or military retirement. For other employers, the form should be obtained from the company/organization making the direct deposit.
  • Do you have Traveler’s Checks for two?

Visa Check Card back to top

  • How can I get a Visa Check Card?
    Request by phone, at a branch, or by mail.
    A member cannot request a Visa Check Card If:
    If the member has any delinquent loans through FirstLight FCU
    If the member has any charge-offs with FirstLight FCU
  • How can I dispute a charge on my Visa check card?
    A Visa Check Card Dispute Form must be printed out, signed & mailed to the FirstLight Federal Credit Union Card Services Department. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view & print this form.

    If you have any questions feel free to contact the Card Services Department at 800-351-1670 or 915-562-1172.
  • What is Falcon Security?
    For more information on Falcon Security please visit the following website

Wires / Western Unions back to top

  • When are wire services available?
    Monday through Friday, no later than 3 p.m.
  • Can funds be wired overseas?
    No. We currently do not offer this service.
  • Can funds be wired to a third party?
    Yes, when the member is present with a member service representative making the wire transfer. For your convenience we also accept written request with the information needed to process the wire/western union along with the member’s signature, phone number to contact the member and copy of valid state ID or driver’s license. You may contact us at 1-800-351-1670 if you have any questions.